LastPass gives you tools to generate secure, non-guessable passwords, helping you to have the safest web experience possible. You can also use LastPass to replace old passwords with unique, randomly generated ones.
Generating a Password
Having a different, strong password that’s randomly generated is important for safeguarding your online accounts and protecting your identity. As you sign up for accounts, LastPass can generate random passwords for you.
- When signing up for a new account on a website, click the generate field icon ( ) to open the password generator.
- Select “Generate and Fill” to use a random password that LastPass automatically generates.
- To adjust settings on that password, click “More Options.”
- Select if you want your password to contain specific characters (uppercase, lowercase, symbols, numbers), the length, and if it should be easy to say or read.
- Select “Fill” to use the new password.
- Back on the website, log in with the new password. LastPass will prompt to save the site, noted in the top right of your browser. Select “Add” to save the new password to your vault.
Breyting gamalt Lykilorð til Mynda Einn
If you stored login details that you created before you began using LastPass, we recommend that you run the LastPass Security Challenge to identify potentially weak passwords. Once identified, you may want to change your old password to ones randomly generated by LastPass.
You may also like to periodically update your passwords; LastPass tries to make this process as simple as possible for sites that you have stored in your Vault.
Replacing Your Old Password
We’ll use a demo Facebook account to show how to update a stored site with a new, generated password from LastPass.
- To begin, log in to the target site and access the account settings or preferences page where you can change your password.
- When you launch the change password page, you will usually be asked to enter your old password, with a new password entered twice. Click on the field icon in the current password field, and select the login. LastPass will fill in the current password for the login you selected:
- After autofilling the current password, you can then click the ‘Generate’ field icon in the ‘New Password’ field to begin to create a random, unique password:
- Select the options you wish, and if you accept the password that has been generated, click Use Password to autofill both the ‘New password’ and the ‘Confirm Password’ fields on the website. This will also create a backup copy of the generated password in your Vault called ‘Generated password for…".
- You will then be asked to confirm if this is a password change or a new entry. Choose Yes, Use for this Site to overwrite your existing password with the new one. Choose No, Save as New Entry to save this as a new entry in your Vault and not continue with the password change.
- Now click ‘Save’ to submit the changes to the website. After clicking Save, LastPass will prompt you to either Confirm or Save New Site
- By clicking on Confirm, you will tell LastPass to swap the old password for the entry with the new, generated password. Save New Site creates an entirely new entry for the site with your previous username and new, generated password.
- The next time you log in to your site, LastPass will autofill with the new, generated password!
If LastPass does not recognize the change in password when you submit it, do the following:
- Sign out of the site
- Go to the login page for the site
- Use LastPass to enter your username
- Copy/paste the password from the ‘Generated Password’ entry that was stored when you accepted the new password
- Click login
- You will then be prompted by LastPass to accept the changes to the site’s entry, and now the new password will be stored with the entry in your Vault.
Video update coming from Marketing.. stay tuned
Auto-Lykilorð Change (BETA)
Auto-Password Change will change a site’s password with a single-click. This feature currently supports 75 of the most popular websites. You can see the full list of supported websites below.
Auto-Password Change is currently available for Chrome and Safari in Beta. It only works with supported sites and is not available for shared sites. To try this feature, make sure you are using the latest version of LastPass (3.1.7+). Remember this is a beta feature, so be careful! If you experience any problems or find bugs, please check our FAQs to see if it has been addressed or is being worked on already. If not, let us know by submitting a support ticket.
Is Auto-Password Change Secure?
We implemented Auto-Password Change with security as its top priority. Though LastPass is changing the password for you, the changes happen locally on your machine. Just like all other data on your account, the changed password is encrypted locally before syncing, never allowing LastPass to access your data.
Automatically Changing Passwords
To automatically change a password with Auto-Password Change, go the LastPass Vault and find a supported site. Hover your mouse pointer over the entry and click the wrench icon to open the edit window. In the Edit window, click the ‘Change Password Automatically’ button as seen below.
By clicking this button, LastPass will begin to automatically log you into the site in the background (in another tab) and change your password. Make sure to NOT close out of this tab. As the Auto-Password Change changes your password, you will see a progress bar.
Once completed, you will receive a notice that the password has been successfully changed on the both the site and in LastPass!
In some work environments, it is not unusual that you have many accounts tied to the same password. If you were to change your password in one location, you would be required to manually change each site saved, which is why we developed the Linked Sites feature.
When a password change is detected for a domain for which you have several saved sites, LastPass will prompt you asking if you would also like to change the saved password for all of your other LastPass sites for that domain:
Table of Contents
- Hjálp Center og algengar spurningar
- LastPass Families
- Getting Started with LastPass
- Hlaða niður og setja LastPass
- Using LastPass on Your Mobile Device
- LastPass App for Mac OSX
- Navigating the LastPass Browser Extension
- LastPass Vault þín
- Bæti & Bensín Sites
- Breyti núverandi staður færslu og Breytingarhjálp reitunum
- Flyt Lykilorð
- Account Settings
- Emergency Access
- Browser Eftirnafn Preferences
- Hlutdeild & Share Center
- Örugg Notes & Viðhengi
- Generating Secure Passwords
- Using LastPass to Fill Forms
- Protecting Your Account with Multifactor Authentication
- Filling into Windows Applications
- LastPass Security Challenge
- LastPass Credit Eftirlit
- LastPass Command Line Umsókn
- LastPass gegnum USB
- Windows 8 Metro
- LastPass Now Free On All Devices
- Migrating Accounts From Meldium to LastPass
- Uninstalling & Eyði
- Site Map